NEED AN ESTIMATE?
Contact Us Today
Painting Your Vinyl Siding
Vinyl siding is relatively maintenance-free but what do you do when you’re ready to update your home with a new color palette? You can paint your vinyl siding! And you’re no longer limited to using the existing color or lighter. Sherwin Williams offers 100 color options in their VinylSafe color palette, including a selection of darker colors that have been formulated to resist warping. Just be aware that the siding will be only as maintenance-free as the paint itself. Using a quality painting contractor and quality products is key to a long-lasting paint finish.
Considerations for Painting your Siding
There are a handful of vinyl-specific considerations that you’ll need to keep in mind to get the job done right.
- Go with a Pro – It’s always recommended to use a quality painting contractor, like Harmony Painting. We have extensive knowledge of the products used, ensure proper surface preparation prior to painting, and can complete the project quickly.
- Clean it First – For the DIY’er – a thorough cleaning is a critical first step toward achieving a professional-quality paint job, just running the hose over the siding won’t do. The goal is to remove all mold, mildew, chalky buildup, and debris from the surface. See below for a few industries recommended cleaning solutions. To clean vinyl siding with a pressure washer, be sure the stream is eye level and pointed straight at the siding, not at an upward angle. This will prevent the water from being driven behind the siding. Use caution when using a pressure washer around openings like windows and doors.
- Use Vinyl-Safe Paint – Choose a vinyl safe color. Sherwin Williams has a good selection of colors, including some darker shades that keep your siding safe from premature warping.
- Use Quality Paint – Select quality paint such as Sherwin Williams Emerald or Duration.
- Check the Weather – Check the weather for the temperature and humidity levels on the day you choose to paint. An overcast day is ideal in the high heat of summer.
Should I Paint My Siding or Replace It?
The first question many homeowners have is whether to paint or replace their siding. Painting exterior surfaces will help them maintain low-maintenance curb appeal and retain value, but if you’re thinking of replacing your siding altogether consider these factors to make the right decision for you:
Faded Color or Actual Damage?
There is a difference between faded color and damage. Faded siding will still have live edges, which are typically free of chalky buildup or mold/mildew stains. Damage is beyond faded coloring, it has cracked, bubbled, split or warped panels often with thin areas that are easily broken. It’s more cost-effective to paint siding that hasn’t been damaged compared to replacing it entirely.
What Types of Damage to Check For
How do you tell if your siding is damaged and needs siding repair or replacement? Here are some common damage indicators:
- Cracks, chips, and dents (not limited to faded color)
- Split seams or panels
- Buckling, swelling, or uneven edges along seams between panels
- Warped or bulging panels
- Tiny pinholes in the finish of exterior painted surfaces- these are visual indications of termites.
Consider the Age of Your Siding and the Potential Costs of Future Maintenence
Even if your siding is holding up pretty well, you may want to consider the age of your siding and the costs of future maintenance. If you’re constantly painting, priming or re-staining, then replacement is a wise financial move.
Not Painting is More Expensive Than You Think
What if your siding has no damage and you don’t mind the look of the faded color? Do you even NEED to paint your siding? Painting your exterior surfaces is more cost-effective than you think. A quality painting on your siding is typically less expensive than if you were to replace the siding entirely and it will help prevent future damage for years of low-maintenance exterior beauty.
If You Decide to Paint, Choose an Exterior Painting Expert for Your Painting Project
If you do decide to invest in paint, remember that preparation is key. You’ll need proper surface prep before painting your siding including pressure washing your home’s siding with the proper cleaners prior to painting. Our painting crew can do this for you for a small extra fee.
Where Can I find Vinyl Siding Painters Near Me?
Let Harmony Painting do all the work! We are experts on residential and commercial painting in Denver, CO. Call us with your project details or get a free estimate today, then sit back while we transform your faded color into beautiful curb appeal with our expert services!
We pride ourselves on offering great service and doing a great job your home’s exterior painting. We can do your whole house or just a small area. We guarantee that you will be more than happy with the finished product.